Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Nearing the end

So regionals has come and gone and I was definately pleased with how well it went. We came out flat early saturday morning against ISUC, and just couldn't really get things going, we got walloped in that game. Then played a pretty easy game against Grinell, which resulted quickly into us punting and putting on a zone that they couldn't do anything against, we win that one easily.

Then we get our next game against Marquette, I've been wanting to play those guys all year long. Their stud Mikail (#8) has some pretty sick throws, and since it was still pretty windy out we ran a box and one on him. Putting our fastest, best defenders on him throughout the game. He made some good throws but our boys shut him down and got him frustrated, with him out of the way the Marquette O really couldn't do much. We win this game by quite a few as well.

Winona State was our next opponent and it seemed like this was gonna be a great game from the start. We started off strong and they bounced back after a timeout and take a lead at half by a few. We keep battling and keep it close throughout the entire second half and we were down 14-11 and scored our O point to make it 14-12. While both teams were on the line the horn blew so the cap would go on after the point, we break them to take it to 14-13 and decide to play it out. We break them again to take it to 14-14 making it universe point. I really didn't want this to be my last college point ever and everyone on the line had their game faces on and was ready to fucking go. They work it down quite a ways then with the help of tight defense they turn it over. I pick it up on the sideline and break io backhand to creature who dishes it to Yossi. I make an upline cut for yossi and huck a backhand to Lane (who only played with one contact in that entire game) who caught it for the win 15-14. I was very happy with how I played that game, I think I threw the last 4 goals for our team. This was also the first time I had ever beaten Winona in my college career. And it meant we play Iowa in the morning who had just lost to the Hodags on universe point!!!

Sunday morning we warm up a little sloppy, but we are all pretty relaxed and not very nervous. We play tight lines at the beginning of the game and go up strong 4-1 on them. They take a timeout and score on O, but they keep running a zone on us which we swiftly just rip apart with scoobers, hammers, high releases and break throws. We give our starters a bit of a rest and let some of the young guns try to get us a break, which they do twice!! And I think we had 3 or 4 freshman on those D lines, I was very impressed with them in that game and all year long. We let up a little and take half 8-7. We get a three point lead later on in the game and just got a little tired at the end and end up losing 14-12. We fought hard but just got a little slow at the end and couldn't pull it out.

So Duluth finished the tournament 5th place, which was a nice change from finishing 15th last year. I'm very proud of this team for the awesome year that we have had, and I'm very thankful for a great group of guys. They opened their arms and welcomed me into their family from the moment I moved up here and I thank them for a great final year of college ultimate.

Sub Zero tryouts started this past weekend and I made the long trek down to the cities. Tryouts were the usual, warmups, few drills, scrimmage in games to 3, run some sprints, then scrimmage some more. I played pretty well, conservative, not alot of turns, ok D. There was alot of wind so it was kind of tough to really see anyone do really well. Sunday was kind of the same way, didn't turn it alot, had one nice huck and a few nice break throws but I didn't take too many risks.

I was talked to by a few captains afterwards telling me that I need to take some more shots downfield, which I understand. I know I'm a conservative player and would rather swing it than to try and force something in, but I understand where they are coming from in wanting me to do this. So, this weekend I plan on throwing downfield more and really trying to show off my throwing ability.

Duluth is coming to an end for me, thanks for the great memories.

David

1 Comments:

Blogger D.K. said...

And... did you take shots downfield successfully?

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home