Thursday, September 27, 2007

Non Ultimate Topic

So, I don't know if any of you watch Sportscenter religiously like I do, or if you follow the NFL closely. But the other weekend Donovan McNabb made some comments about black Quarterbacks in the NFL....

"People are trying to dig too deep in this whole situation," he said. "I wasn't pinpointing particular people. What I said was the fact that we (black QBs) have to do a little extra. No matter the style of play you're displaying, there's always going to be criticism."

"There's not that many African-American quarterbacks, so we have to do a little bit extra," McNabb tells HBO. "Because the percentage of us playing this position, which people didn't want us to play ... is low, so we do a little extra."

I honestly don't get why he brought this up. I don't want anyone to think I'm racist because I don't like what he said, I just don't understand why the race issue always has to brought up. I mean, how many starting black quarterbacks are there in the NFL right now? I don't know but I'm guessing maybe 5-7. Ok, Donovan has a point there aren't alot of black QB's....so what? I want one of you to name a starting white running back in the NFL.... hmmm tick tock tick tock. Ok, name a starting white cornerback in the NFL, there was just an article on MSN today saying "What happened to the white CB?". Then look at wide receivers, I know there are white wide receivers but how many are considered to be the number 1 WR on the team.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, why bring up race? It seemed to me like he was getting called out on his shotty play and going 0-2, and came up with some sort of reasoning as to why it may be harder on him. But of course I'm not a black man, and I most likely will never truly understand what he is saying or where he is coming from. I guess personally, I feel like our society pulls the race card way too fast sometimes.
(Ex. "Duke Lacrosse Scandal" "Michael Vick Case" "Barry Bonds")

I dunno, I guess I'm kinda confused on the topic, maybe it's because I grew up in Eden Prairie and I've been kind of sheltered my whole life. But please I don't want anyone to think I'm racist or anything, this is just something that I was thinking about and I'd like to hear some opinions.

David

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

OK Becky, I guess you need to have this one explained, so let me be the first. I'll start with a metaphor.

In the pre-Civil war south, how many white cotton pickers were there? Very few. How many black plantation owners were there? None. In the NFL, what you position you play does matter. When blacks first began entering the league, it was clear that they made better running backs than whites. Their physical abilities made them superior, and while it can be argued that racist policies were actually the cause of this physical superiority, it's hard to deny the veracity of the disparity.

For a long time, however, coaches and analysts denied that blacks would ever be good quarterbacks. Despite their obvious physical superiority, it was claimed that black players lacked the mental capacity to play the most difficult position. As such, the slaveowner/slave model was reproduced on a small scale every Sunday, with a white quarterback commanding a troop of black physical laborers.

I may or may not agree with McNabb's motives, but I don't think America has shed the last remnant of this basic racist belief that Blacks just aren't smart enough to play quarterback. After all, if we believe that Blacks are as intelligent as Whites, and at the same time are physically superior, then shouldn't there be a much higher percentage of black quarterbacks?

At the same time, we can all agree that Rex Grossman and Tarvarius Jackson both suck ass, and both deserved to be benched, regardless of the color of their skin. That's equality.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

mmm...you know i had a couple things to make comments on but it came down to saying i think that because there is such superiority in the other position maybe that is why there are less African American QB's. I obviously do not wach sports center all the time and this was news to me, but i would agree...why play the race card? I think to say he "feels like a slave" is a bit much in this day in age because hey he makes more that half the american public. I think after going 0-2 and having a tough day he needs to sit back and realize the kind of difference he can make and has already made and do what he can to help support what McNabb believes in.

Yeah i think i can settle with the answer. And Damn the Man!

8:11 AM  
Blogger sometallskinnykid said...

Not that it makes much difference, but he did makes those comments before the season started (At least the initial interview before he got a lot of flack and crushed the Lions.)

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home